I have this crazy tendency to create blogs of various kinds on varied sites for random purposes that fade fairly quickly. So let's drink to me keeping up with this one! It is after all going to concern some possible life changing things; well, that is IF I make it in to the Peace Corps. If I don't, hopefully this won't be waste of words never to be seen or heard from again and someone, maybe you, will learn something new about the process or discover you aren't the only one to lose your mind about what can only be described as an agonizingly long test of patience :)
Here is where I currently stand with things:
I finally submitted my application and health review on June 7, 2010. I say finally because I semi- started the application in October for 2009, and then worked on it a little bit more come January of this year, but paused yet again. Why you ask? Essays. The first one was easy enough to write, but the second really made me think! I didn't feel like I had much cross-cultural experience having never left the country, so I put off my application yet again. I battled with even completing the darn thing for fear of not getting accepted for months (and I will discuss that particular fear in a later post). I finally sucked it up in the weekend prior to June 7th and wrote about interacting with customers at my job where I frequently encounter a language barrier that has the ability to impact my job and customers' shopping experiences.
Skip ahead to the next day where I get an e-mail from my recruiter telling me she is sending me my interview kit and will be needing my college transcripts and my references submitted and to give her a call or e-mail to set up a phone interview (which, for the record is next Monday on the 28th at 10AM!) As soon as I found out I needed transcripts with my SS# on them I was bummed to discover unofficial ones do not carry that little tidbit in Nevada. Alas, this meant I had to pay over $20 to acquire my CSN ($2), UNR ($15), and UNLV ($5) transcripts. Annoying.
Next was the references: a good friend of mine, an old manager, and my current store manager were my list since I don't have consistent volunteering under my belt to include a volunteer supervisor. I felt like I waited forever to get the last one in from my store manager and did my best not to bug her, but I had to little bit and it finally got done!
All I have left to do is fingerprinting. Here is some advice: DO NOT FILL IN THE INFORMATION ON THE CARD. I learned this after calling the police department and was told that they print the information for you with the fingerprints. I am sure it is not like this everywhere, but better safe than sorry. This ordeal means waiting for a new set to get sent to me or going to another place to have them done at a steeper rate. Ick.
Hope you enjoyed this book? Haha.
I don't think you can have your fingerprints done somewhere else, unless there's an FBI office around. The fingerprint cards they sent are FBI issue, if I remember correctly. :(
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment! I just checked it out of the FBI website for the CJIS division (as listed on the back of the cards) and FAQ #4 answers the question. You can have them done pretty much anywhere so long as the are clear. PC recommends police stations, etc probably because it is easier and cheaper to get them done there :)
ReplyDeleteKimerley,
ReplyDeleteI'm also going through the application process for the Peace Corps and I look forward to reading your blog! Congrats on your unofficial nomination!