Oh The Places You Will Go!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

PC=Risky Business?

*A quick disclaimer: this post is NOT about sexual violence and assault, as that is a whole different ball game in which someone has no control of the situation at hand.  This is in rebuff to the mentioned articles which, in a large part, have to do with other forms of violence and crime.  I am bummed I have to put a disclaimer, but a recent blog post by First Response Action (which has a noble cause) kind of painted me as quite naive about cultural differences where gender is concerned and the risks of sexual assault. 

I have done my fair share of reading up on the Peace Corps and feel like I have a good idea of what it may or may not entail and I don't have any illusions about the risks of serving in an underdeveloped/impoverished/corrupt nation.  That is, afterall, the name of the game.  The website states it clearly "...because Volunteers serve worldwide, sometimes in very remote areas, health and safety risks are an inherent part of Volunteer service."

Where is all of this coming from?  I recently encountered a series of articles from 2003 that are insistent on highlighting the dangers of Peace Corps service by reporting on murders, assaults, rapes, robberies, and sicknesses that have happened in the Peace Corps without acknowledging that it is small fraction of PCVs it has happened to, without also mentioning volunteers that such bad things didn't happen to.  But who wants to throw some positive into stories designed to sensationalize the possible downsides of service?

It seems that a failed realization on the part of the reporters is that crime happens EVERYWHERE!  Even in the United States. Surprising right? Living in Las Vegas, I have a less than 1 in 50 chance of being the victim of a violent crime ( I am unsure of the exact number as I cannot find a recent crime index for LV, but the ones from previous years are anywhere from 1 in 37 to 1 in 42!).  This fact does not stop me from walking to my car after work in a not-so-great area of town after dark.

 My question is: why make it a point to try and scare the crap out of potential volunteers or families and friends of current volunteers by filling their heads with what is likely to not happen?  Why not hold some of the people in the stories told accountable for not following PC recommendations for safety (granted, I am aware that it is not always a victims fault, but some of the accounts do show negligence on the PCVs part)?  Why the insistance from reporters and family that the PC play babysitter to adults who signed up for job with risks?  I understand the PC should be responsible for basic safety and training, but I don't think it is their responsibility to watch after the day to day life of volunteers.I don't have a babysitter now in the real-world, why would I deem it a requirement as a volunteer?

Just a few thoughts.  I recommend checking out the articles as well as letters to the editor because I while I do find the writing sensationalized and redundant of itself, it is important to learn about the scary part of service, even if it is famed as "PC hating".  Keep in mind the articles are from seven years ago, so quite a few developments (such as wider use of cell phones and internet) have been made in many places.

Overall, to all applicants, PCTs, and PCVs:  Only you can be accountable for your actions and how you present yourselves!  Safety is your responibility and there are risks involved in everyday life, especially underdeveloped countries, but if all we ever did was focus on the bad that could happen, would we ever enjoy life?   One of my favorite quotes is "There is more to living than being alive."  It seems to me after reading blog after blog of volunteers, it couldn't be more true.

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Those articles almost convinced me not to move forward right after I was nominated. Im so glad I took a couple days to reflect on the responsibility we all have to protect ourselves.

    Thats not to say that there are some valid concerns raised. Check this out: http://firstresponseaction.blogspot.com/2010/01/full-article.html. A little scary, but it could happen anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've worked in several "risky" countries. Although terrible things can happen regardless of your personal safety measures, this is true anywhere. It's a shame if people are being scared away from PC because of the "horror stories". I'm glad you weren't affected to the point of being put off from doing PC.

    The blog highlighted by the previous commenter is enlightening though - PC does need to act responsibly towards those who have experienced physical/sexual assault, and take recovery seriously.

    Best wishes in Eastern Europe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that during training, PC staff does their best to scare the hell out of all. When we actually got to our sites, it wasn't half as scary as they made it out to be. I attribute it to them wanting to weed out the weak people who are still unsure about whether or not they want to be there. PC spends so much on volunteers in the very beginning before they even get to staging. The danger aspect in all countries is really overblown. I guess their just covering themselves. While things have happened in my country to volunteers, the majority of the vols who have a violent act occur to them, taxi kidnappings aside and petty thievery aside, was being inordinately irresponsible. Honestly, from my experience, if you don't put yourself in potentially risky situations, generally there's nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having lived in poor countries where as a foreigner, you stick out, there is just a higher probability of being a target for crime. I've lived maybe 20 years in the USA and don't know anyone personally who has been a victim of crime; however, both in Africa and in China, I know many people who have been victims of crime. Statistically it seems like there is more crime against foreigners in the countries that I have lived in while serving in PC: Guinea, Mali, Burkina Faso, and China. Does this mean I shouldn't have joined? Does this mean that I am exaggerating pretend danger? I think it is just really important to remember that as foreigners we stick out and it is really important to be aware of the surroundings and to follow the norms of the cultural customs and traditions. We may do our best not to be in potentially risky situations yet still just because of our faces, we become victims.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kimberley - I am writing as the founder of First Response Action. We advocate to Peace Corps for a better response to Volunteers who experience physical and sexual violence during service.

    I think you raise some interesting points in your article about safety during service. I think many women looking into PC service will face the issue of safety and there needs to be better education on this issue.

    We'd love to do a response piece to this on our blog - http://firstresponseaction.blogspot.com. Please feel free to contact me at firstresponseaction@gmail.com to discuss.

    And good luck during your medical clearance and application process! Casey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kimberly,

    I am a PCV currently serving in Uganda. From your entry, I get the impression that you may(I can be totally wrong here) be feeling a pre-high that one has before arriving in the host country. If you do, then you're not alone because I also felt the same. Before I came I also read PC's position on safety & security and blog entries of then-current PCV's. After we arrived in country the training staff sensitized us on what is appropriate is Uganda and the various cultural norms in the country.

    We all complied to the appropriate dress code (and acted appropriately) but did that make us immune to sexual harassment? No.

    The most common crime that happen to most PCV's here is theft. My husband & I were @ our mid service training when our house was broken into when we were gone.

    You may change some of your opinion as you go through training & during your service. Something that happens frequently to me is sexual harassment. The reality on ground here is women are not seen as having the equal rights as men do. During one of PC in-service trainings, which we attended with our counterparts, many Ugandan male counterparts shared the belief that women have no say when it comes to sex as we discussed gender roles. Uganda is not unique is this way since gender inequality is present in most countries around the world.

    Foreign women stand out and are more likely to be harassed. Most of us complete our service without being assaulted but assaults have happened. I know several female PCV's (yes, these are culturally sensitive women) who have experienced this. Sometimes it happens in the broad daylight with other people around you. Yes, crime happens anywhere but what I'm saying is as a foreign woman one stands out, so you may be more likely to be targeted. Are my fellow Ugandan sisters targeted? Absolutely.

    I'm in a PCV committee that is working for a better response from PC Uganda when assaults do happen & for developing better techniques in coping with sexual harassment in country. Yes, sexual harassment happens in the US too. I'm a survivor.

    I didn't share all of this to discourage you from joining. If I knew everything I know now about what I may face in country, I would not hesitate in joining. My experiences here changed my world view & what I take for granted back home. I continue to serve because I love my host country & the family I've made here. At the same time, I support a PC that strives to improve the support it gives the volunteers. That doesn't happen if people don't share their concerns. I share my concerns with PC staff because I believe there is always room for growth.

    I wish you the very best in your service.

    Anjali Jarrett
    Uganda
    2009-2011

    ReplyDelete