Would my recruiter have told me at the time of nomination if I should be focusing on gaining volunteer work in the area I am nominated for?
Regardless, I plan on finding something having to do with ESL, but I have noticed in quite a few applicant blogs that were given suggestions of what they should be doing to be more competitive. Me? I didnt get any of that!
Perhaps my application and I were just so awesome that I can get away with any volunteering I want? Haha, wouldn't that be nifty.
But really- I am also thinking of trying to pick up a bit of Ukrainian and Albanian (at least learning the alphabet and basics) since based on Peace Corps Wiki, those are likely placements, I mean even if I don't get either, it would still look good for me to a recruiter, right?
Hey!
ReplyDeleteThe more volunteering the better, really (within realistic bounds of course!) If possible, I'd recommend getting involved with a group that works with refugees, or with ESL mentoring at local schools. That's what I went with, and I was one of the first invites to teach in Ukraine this autumn. When my PO spoke to me, she said my work teaching English (specifically to children) made me a very competitive candidate.
So that's my advice! But any ESL work you do is excellent!